If your life is a cycle of work, errands, and repeat, you’re probably thirsting for meaning. There are ways you can curate a more meaningful life that doesn’t take expensive wellness retreats or sessions with a life coach. Here are five simple ways to garner more meaning.
- Start your day with gratitude. As soon as you open your eyes, conjure up what you’re most grateful for. Is it the sun on your face, the fact that you slept, or you have lunch plans to look forward to? Instead of going straight for your phone, time devoted to simply scouring your thoughts for positivity will help you start your day fresh with meaning.
- Live without regrets. I’ve been to two funerals recently. Death is a gift that forces us to rethink the way we’re living. If we want to live without regrets, we have to start being aware of how precious life is. This means saying the things we want our loved ones to hear before we die. For example, I’ve been working on telling loved ones how much they mean to me in letters and in person. I’ve also been trying to work on activities and projects that mean the most to me.
- Take a small step towards your goal. Is there something you’ve always wanted to do such as learn how to dance, write a children’s book or take a trip alone? You may be too afraid to jump all in, but doing a small step in the direction of your dreams will do wonders for your soul. Doing research on airfare, finding out about local dance classes and taking a class on writing are all things you can do that’s less intimidating, but feels amazing because it’s getting you closer to what you really want to do.
- Immerse yourself in nature. The smallest things can reap the greatest joys. Walking on the beach or hiking in the woods are easy ways to conjure up magic in your ordinary life. It instantly relieves us of stress, reminds us of what’s important and reconnects us to inspiration.
- Make a date with someone you love. This could be a partner, friend or spiritual guide. This person could have passed away. This person could be someone you’ve never met. You could have lunch with a loved one or you could pray to the spiritual being, or deceased loved one. It will reignite the need for connection that has been ignored while you’ve been busy with the external world. Love is the most important thing and reconnecting will remind you of that.
What is one thing you can do today to start living with more meaning?