In my last book review, I was disappointed by the book’s inability to cause a change in my husband and I. Well, I won’t be saying that about this one. Not since The Power of Now has a book stirred me up so much. A definite life shifter Steering by Starlight: Find Your Right Life, No Matter What!is the kind of read that makes you want to live better and believe that a better life (a more magical, mystical and miracle-laden one) is possible.
This is one of the books I call my “turtle reader” because it’s among my stash that I read super slowly. It’s my wine and chocolate read. This is the kind of book that should be savored, absorbed and appreciated. Frankly, I couldn’t get enough of it and was sad when it came to an end.
- I’m a big fan of Martha Beck. But I have to say this is one of my favorite books by far. Written in Beck’s light, humorous style (comparing lizards to our minds and Harry Potter’s dark arts to toxic people), she provides easily digestible info on life’s most painful parts. This book didn’t fail to deliver on fun or insight.
- Beck sheds light on everything from dream analysis to dealing with toxic people. I’m so glad I bought this book and not borrowed it because I know that it’s going to be something I can turn to again and again.
- Powerful exercises. Every self-help book has exercises for you to do. Normally I wince when I see them and don’t get much out of it, but inSteering by Starlight, I was first surprised by how fun they were and then by how powerful it turned out to be. One of my favorite exercises was thinking about a positive thing in my life now and going backwards from end to beginning. I realized that a lot of so-called negative events were actually necessary and in the end brought something positive in my life.
- Beck’s books are influential because they show rather than tell you how to change your life. Reading about her life story and seeing both difficult life challenges and its positive outcomes were inspirational. She spreads optimism and hope by demonstrating what is possible.
- It’s difficult to find a con about this book. I think if anything, I wish it were longer.
My last words:
If you’re struggling to find your purpose, feeling stuck and need a change, I definitely recommend this book! Since I’ve picked it up, I’ve been experiencing small miracles every day. My only regret is that I’ve already read it and have finished most of her books. Martha puh-leaze write more books!